Thursday, June 19, 2008

Upon Special Request...

Leslie requested that I tell my Montana horse riding experience so now that I've mentally prepared myself to revisit this traumatizing moment of my life, I am ready to share.
A while back Mum, Becky, and I went on a little road trip to Montana to visit Lisa. While there, we were able to visit a ranch (somebody Lisa knew from church) and go horseback riding. Of course, we automatically asked them to give me the gentlest horse (due to previous experiences and fears). As happy campers we headed out on the open Montana range. Vast, wide emptiness. After we got a ways out we came to a hill. Becky and Lisa decided that they wanted to race up the hill and took off. I guess my horse felt left out, so it too took off. It took off and never stopped. Once the other two reached the top, they slowed down BUT mine ... for him, it was freedom or death. I screamed at the top of my lungs and held on for dear life. After a few minutes I lost the reins so I held on to the horn of the saddle and bounced so high. I started slipping off the saddle and the thought occurred to me to just let go. But feeling the horses legs kicking mine knocked a little sense into me. I pictured myself being trampled beneath his hooves as he bolted for freedom leaving me a snarled mess in the Montana sun. That gave me a little adrenaline boost and I instantly pulled myself back into the saddle still hanging onto the horn, now with my legs flailing to the side. A while back my voice had grown hoarse so I had quit screaming. (I also did attempt to stop the horse with the reins before I lost them. After that I was hoping he'd run out of breath ... he must have been in the Olympics before).
It seemed like an eternity. I seriously did not think he was going to stop. Finally, I decided to do it. I decided to jump. And I did. I made sure my feet were clear, said a prayer, and just sort of let go of the saddle on one of the bounces up and leaned to the right. It probably looked like a cartoon where I stayed in the same position but the horse took off. I landed on the ground with all my air completely knocked out of me. I just laid there for a few minutes, unable to breath and not quite sure what to do. After another few minutes I sat up and looked around. I noticed something bouncing behind the ridge close by and I couldn't quite make out what it was. Then I realized it was a trailer bouncing. Now I stood up and a truck speeding along came into view.
So supposedly when the horse bolted and I screamed, the folks back at the ranch heard me and jumped into the truck with the trailer still attached. And here was my knight in shining armor. Haha! Just kidding! (That's Mum and Becky's dream. Not mine.) They pulled up to me, asked if I was alright, and then (get this) Lisa comes galloping up on her horse.
So supposedly when my horse bolted SHE thought she could save me and sped off at full speed chasing me. Unfortunately her horse wasn't in as good of shape as mine. :o)
Finally Mum and Becky also showed up. The owner went and fetched the horse who was grazing down by a tree and fence a ways off and when he came back with that little bugger Mum MADE me ride the horse all the way back to the ranch. She told me it was to show the thing who's boss. I think it was to torture me. (And that's not the end of the torturing.) When we got back, the three still wanted to do some more riding. I'm pretty much done with horse riding for life (which I have been successful at so far) so I opted to stay at the ranch. They stuck me in an old dusty shed with the little girls, Grace and a daughter of the folks who own the ranch, playing dolls and tea party. Almost the entire time they were gone, I just sat there in this little tiny chair staring straight ahead. Grace probably got tired of me just staring at her instead of answering her every time she spoke to me so she finally asked if I was alright. The two then took me inside and the other girl's mother had me lie down on the couch. I don't remember anything else until we were in the van headed to the hospital. Now I'm sitting in the very back of the van. Lisa offered everybody jerky. Bad idea on my part to accept. Once in the hospital I threw up. They told me that my body was just in shock so we went to the Chiropractor to fix me up. It really was a traumatizing experience and I really haven't ridden a horse since then. Ok, that's a lie. The next day we went with Lisa to their ward rodeo and Mum MADE me (once again) get on a horse. Why?

3 comments:

yours truly said...

oh, Laura, you and horses and cars...

Thanks for sharing your crazy story again for posterity! I'm glad you are ok besides the hard feelings about horses.

Love you!

Nancy said...

I feel i should say something in my defense... but what? I don't remember making you ride back or ride the next day...(really Lisa, Becky, and I went on our great ride the next day while you sat in that house on the couch or chair :)
Hey Laura,
want me to arrange a horse ride while you're home?? Did you know there's a riding class at BYU-I??
I love you!!

Amadea said...

Hoah! Oh man ... I can't decide if that's even funny! :o)
I love you too, Mum.