Wednesday, June 11, 2008

CAKE Weekend


CAKE is and always will be my favorite band in the entire universe! I had the most awesome weekend...
My roomies and I left early Friday morning after some last minute frantic packing (who wants to pack the night before?). We arrived in Idaho Falls and picked up our other travelers then headed out on the road. We drove FOREVER (read like they say it on Sandlot!) until we arrived in Denver, Colorado. I loved Denver. It is a cool city. It has the city feel, but also outdoorsy. The mountains are so close and gorgeous. So we stayed the night at a relatives house and the next day we got up and went downtown. Then we went to Boulder. Boulder is even better than Denver. It's a hippie city. I decided that I'm gonna move there eventually. Become one with the elements, you know. It was funny, while in Boulder we met up with a friend. (Well, everybody else's friend. I didn't know him before this last weekend.) We were all standing around the cars deciding where to go and whatnot and someone suggested going bar hopping until the concert started. Brittany then reminded us all that I'm still under 21 and Kevin (the friend we met up with) asked how old I am. I told him 20, and he said something along oh just my type! And asked if I wanted to ride with him. Kind of jokingly I replied that actually I did want to ride with him and then he opened my door for me and we got in the car. My roomies told me that he's kind of awkward... not in a bad way... I don't know how to explain it, so never mind. Anyway, I thought at least two other people would ride with us but all five of them crammed into the other car. At the time I was thinking punks BUT I later found out otherwise. Haha! When we were back in Rexburg talking about our weekend and going through our Cake withdrawls, I mentioned how punkish it was of them to not ride in the car with us and they (my roomies) told me that after I had gotten into the car, Kevin told them not to ride with us. Turns out he was the punk. I even said something about everyone riding in the other car and he played it off as if he had NO idea why they were all cramming. Goober. Anyway... I impressed him. He was flipping through songs on a CD and Maria Taylor's Clean Getaway came on and I told him that I love that song and can play it on my guitar. Yep, he was impressed. He then asked me if I knew what movie the next song was from. I didn't know that because honestly I don't watch very many movies, but I was able to tell him that it was a cover of the Bee Gees. THAT impressed him. :o) Aren't I so amazing? *sigh*
Yes, well we went to our concert and it was THE most amazing concert in the entire world. I LOVE CAKE. The lead singer is funny and they performed so well. They sounded just like their CDs. The acoustics were good and it was a small venue so we were pretty close. Towards the end of the show we moved up front and danced in the aisle. It was great! Afterwards we met up again with Kevin and his friend (who is an Interior Design and told me that she could hook me up with an internship in Boulder if I'd like) and we went on a short hike that gave us a beautiful view of the city. While hiking down we hurt Cougar screams. We couldn't decide if they were real or not but they were creepy sounding. I'm glad we didn't get eaten. After that we made a late night run to Sev and then vegged around before going to bed. The next morning we drove ALL day. Seriously, it was a long drive. But well worth it. If you ever get a chance to go to a CAKE concert, I recommend it. And invite me cause I'll go with you!

6 comments:

yours truly said...

but were you impressed by this Kevin fellow? are you going to do an internship in Boulder and become a hippie?

yours truly said...

ps- encountering demands for proof about the bee gees claim... please enlighten...

Amadea said...

I don't understand your post script. ... and yes I am moving to Boulder to become a hippie. It's my destiny.

yours truly said...

translation: someone wants to know since when was clean getaway a bee gees song. please prove it. thank you kindly.

Anonymous said...

Your whole trip sounds soooo much fun! *jealousy* I would move to boulder and be a hippie with you, but I don't think I'm cut out for that sort of thing...

Amadea said...

I never said Clean Getaway was a Bee Gees song. It was the next song on the CD that was a cover of a Bee Gees song... I Started A Joke to be exact.
My apologies for the confusion.