Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I miss Gus.

While staying in Boston I have been using Leslie's guitar, but it's not the same as Gus. Nobody can replace Gus. I picture him where I left him, all alone in a cold, dark room ... probably not cold cause it's summer and there's no air conditioning ... wondering if I'm ever coming back. Hold on Gus! I'll be back in a couple weeks!
In the meanwhile, I was sitting at the dining table singing at the top of my lungs this morning. I had the house to myself... back up. We are house sitting this week, so I had an enormous house all to myself this morning. As a matter of fact, I have the house to myself every morning except saturday and sunday. Glorious. As I was sitting singing I looked out the window directly in front of me. It faces the side of the neighbor's house and on top of the roof that covers their side entry and porch were two rows of tiny birds sitting there staring at me. When I looked at them they all looked away suddenly and started picking at thing around them pretending like they weren't listening. But they were. I kept on singing for them and when I finished they all flew away.
Yesterday when I was getting ready I heard a rather large buzzing noise. I found it in one of the bedrooms upstairs and it was an enormous bumble bee. He was the size of 3/4s of my thumb and the poor fellow was exhausted. He kept ramming himself into the window and then he started climbing up the side jamb, but it was finished in a glossy paint so he kept slipping. I could tell he was about to give up on life so I told him to hold on. I grabbed a fuzzy purse that was sitting on the dresser next to me and held it in his way so he would climb on. He did, and then I gently carried him downstairs and out the back door. Once outside we had a moment of connection and then he flew away.
There's a tennis court across the street and since it's the end of summer and the weather is fantastic there are always people playing. Makes me wish I knew how to play. And then I remember how awful I am at sports and I quit wishing.
Happy Wednesday! ;)

3 comments:

yours truly said...

lovely, magical day

wv: bumsi

Christopher Unger said...

wow, Laura, the animals (and insects) love you!

Did you leave gus here or at school?

Amadea said...

He's at school ... poor fellow.