Thursday, August 5, 2010

backinbeantown

I'm back in Boston! It just seems impossible for me to stay away from this city. Naturally after being in the city only a few days I already have couple of stories.

Yesterday while on the Orange Line heading towards downtown there was a pretty entertaining man on the train. He was an older mexican gentleman (probably in his sixties to define older for you) and he was standing by the door as I got on. As soon as the train started moving he started talking. I was uncertain if he was talking to himself or someone a little further into the train but after careful observation I decided, and pretty much soon after I decided I knew, that he was talking to himself. BUT it wasn't just talking, he was monologuing. He started going on about not looking like a monkey. (please read the following with a gruff, mexican accent almost mafia style...)
"You think I'm ugly? Do you think I look like a monkey? I am not a monkey. I am a man."
During his performance he would stand at the head of aisle. Holding onto the bars on both sides of the train, letting go periodically to do a dramatic hand gesture. Every time the train stopped he would go over to the door, look out, adjust to the new people getting on, and then as the train started moving again, he would start performing again.
"If there were no women in the world, I would kill myself. It's not worth living without any women. Why without women we men, as Elvis Presley use to say, we ain't nothin' but a hound dog."
After he said that last line the entire car was enjoying his performance. I was pretty bummed to get off at the next stop cause I'm sure he had much more to share.

Today I went to the Famers Market in Brookline. It kind of stressed me out a bit. So many stands, so many people, and I have no idea what I want. So I walked the loop checking out what's what. Then second time around I selected my produce. I got an eggplant, basil, tomatoes, broccoli, bell peppers, peaches, and corn. By the time I was at the last booth it started raining and everyone bee-lined under the awnings for shelter. I was selecting my corn and there was no room for me underneath the awning so I just stood in the rain choosing my ears of corn. A lady put her umbrella halfway over me but by then it was too late. I was soaked. It was a timely Bostonian downpour. After I paid for my corn I left, but by then the rain had slowed to a drizzle. I went to the bus stop checked the time and noticed that I had messages from Leslie and Becky trying to get a hold me.
Becky got her mission call. She will be serving in EL SALVADOR ! Hooray!!! (She leaves in December)
Later this evening I went to the Isabella Gardner museum. It was a Free Neighborhood Night with lots of art and music. The hands-on art was very childish ... I did one the activities anyway. The museum was interesting. Isabella Gardner was a rich lady who collected art with the money her father left her. She built the museum to house all of the artwork. She pretty much designed and laid everything out herself. She even has it in her will that nobody can change the layout. The building was neat. It is centered around a magnificent courtyard that allows you to look all the way up to a skylight. I love the natural daylight that it brought in. The rest was four levels of corridors wrapping around the courtyard. Only the first three levels are accessible to the public. The only thing I didn't like about the museum was the lighting. I felt that it was very inadequate for viewing art. In most rooms it was nearly impossible to see because it was dark OR there was a glare on the glass ... kind of annoying. Other than that it was a fun experience. There was live jazz being playing in the courtyard and that set a fun mood while viewing. It's a very eclectic and eccentric museum.

Leslie and Erin are gone for the night so I'm home alone. Partying it up without them. I'm going to make bread and pizza. And watch a movie while crocheting.
Ps. I think I'm going to die from the humidity! Every time I move I start melting. Literally.

No comments: