Wednesday, September 30, 2009

BEST EVERS!!! Continued (As promised.)

So I said I would write this a week ago, which I should have because then it was fresh on my mind ... and now it's all over and I have to remember which I'm really bad at. Have I ever told you that? I never remember things. Alright so, I ended with my birthday which was a Saturday. Sunday, bla bla bla, Monday I went to Music Outlet. I was going to play my new song but apparently they cut it off at 12 (I was number 13). My friend, Garrett, was there and he told me about Open Mic at Hogi Yogi on Tuesdays and pretty much told me I was playing there. I didn't want to ... I wanted to check it out first ... but secretly I did. :) Plus, Garrett is amazing on the guitar and intimidates me so I wasn't really sure if I wanted to play in front of him. BUT I couldn't say no so Tuesday rolls along and I go at 8 to the Hogi Yogi. I wasn't sure when to sign up so I kind of just randomly put my name down. Ends up I put my name towards the end so I didn't play until around 10. It was so late! And by then most people had left so it was just the die-hards left. So I'm nervous, but I play and I didn't do so bad. When I sat back down Garrett told me I did a good job and that I'm an amazing songwriter. I told him that I can handle critique so have atter and he thought for a second and then told me the only thing I should do is play more often. !!! After the last few people played when things were starting to get cleaned up all these really, really cool people that I've always wanted to be friends with came up to me and told what a good job I did. One guy told me that my music was folk and refreshing. :D Another guy, Jon Lewis, asked if I had any of my stuff recorded. I said no, cause I don't, and he offered to record it for me. He has all the equipment so I gave him my number and he said he'd get a hold of me. Garrett asked if I was going to play next week and I said no (cause I needed a breather) and he asked if I wanted to play with him. Ok, I can't say no to that. So he took my number. And then I grinned the entire way home. It was seriously one of the happiest moments of my life. All my dreams were coming true. haha!

Well, now that it's a week later the story goes on. Garrett and I got together and he came up with an accompaniment on his 11-string guitar with the slider for one of my songs and he showed me a harmony he wanted me to sing for one of his songs. AND we played yesterday. The only thing is we only got together twice to practice. I think we should have practiced a little bit more cause I wasn't quite comfortable with it yet. So it went ok. I felt like I was off, but everybody said it sounded good. I had my roommate record it and it wasn't too bad. Tonight was my first recording session with Jon. Oh, I forgot to tell you. Apparently Jon Lewis was in American Idol a few seasons ago. And apparently he was pretty popular. So now I know a celebrity. Haha! Anyway, at first it was kind of weird and awkward cause I've never really done that before, but after a while I became more comfortable and it was awesome. We recorded two songs. I'm going to listen to them and see what I think of adding to them to fill them out and i gave him permission to play around with them and adding things of that sort. I'm really, really excited. He's going to be around for a while so he said we can just keep recording songs over time. He likes doing it (only with music he likes, though) and he's pretty chill so I don't mind. Hooray!The downfall to all this excitement is that I'm falling behind in my schoolwork. I need to prioritize a little better and use my time a little more wisely. ... plus, i'm getting to the point of not being able to function. AND everytime I get a text message I jump a mile. That's GOTTA be due to the sleep deprivation.

3 comments:

eebs said...

wow. we're going to have a rockstar in our house!! so excited

yours truly said...

wow-- look at you fancypants schmoozer! you'll have to teach us a few of your skillz

be nice to your poor brain though and find that balance!

[word verification: aggenial]

Anonymous said...

You are pretty much the most awesome person I know, Laura.