Occasionally (and it doesn't really happen very often) I have Sundays like today.
Our Sunday School lesson was about pioneers and some of the companies that needed rescued. The question was posed, "If our prophet today asked us to stop what we are doing and immediately and go rescue some people, would we do it?" Of course, everybody is giving the perfect 'righteous' answers. "Well, if I were in that situation I would want someone to rescue me, so of course I would go and help them." "I will always immediately do what God asks me to." Will you? That was my thought. So I raised my hand and informed them all that honestly, I would probably complain a bit. It's not easy to drop everything you're doing. I bet most of the people in that room would complain in one way or another. After I said that some guy said that if we are in a position now where we would complain we need to fix that. And a good way to know that is if we are paying our tithing and offerings. What? Really? I'm not sure about that ...
Anyway, I shrugged it off. Whatever.
In Relief Society we had a lesson about the Honor Code. The subject turned to dressing modestly and everybody was making comments about how important it is to tell somebody when they are dressing inappropriately. One girl in particular (and we'll come back to this girl) said that if you love the person you will tell them. Hmm ... in my mind I'm picturing this scenario and it's not going down so smoothly. Mabecka raised her hand and commented that we are all human. If someone were to come up and criticize you and tell you that you are dressed immodestly, odds are that you wouldn't take it so well. She said that even if her best friend were to tell her something like that she would still be slightly offended. Because it's her friend and she trusts her, she would listen to her, but it would still kind of hurt. ... criticism always hurt. Whether it's someone telling you, you don't know how to dress, an art or essay critique, it sometimes hurts. And if you don't know the person and they start telling you what you are doing wrong, most likely you aren't going to take it well. So this girl who said the whole love thing said that Mabecka (of course she did it indirecetly) needs to get over her pride and not take things personally.
Ugh. Point being people frustrate me. We aren't all perfect and lets be honest with ourselves about it. I wish people at church (and my school is full of these people) would get over themselves.
6 comments:
Boy, if that bothered you, you chose the second worst school to go to! Maybe even the worst -- I'm not really sure how BYU and BYU-I compare in that respect...
At any rate, I find ignoring people to be such a pleasant way to avoid it all. ;-)
I'm sorry you had a dumb sunday. I think it's good to share your perspective and opinions in a diplomatic way, but I'm not good at ignoring dumb people. They are very frustrating. However, if you can manage to not judge them in return you come out on top and gain a lot more control over yourself and peace of mind.
ha. reading your post gave me some painful flash backs to the BYU days. All I can say is this too shall pass!
I'm proud of you and Mabecka for stating your dissenting opinions. And sorry that people were lame about it.
Way to keep it real, I like that about you ;)
I feel your frustration, Laura. Right here. *points to his heart*
Cheer up little friend ::::
word verification: buckly (I have to make a comment :)
I'm glad you participate and such. I just sit back and let them bother me. In class today, we discussed group therapy and how all opinions should be validated. It should be the same with church.
Post a Comment