Saturday, April 25, 2009

First Week: Over and Out

Hooray! I successfully finished my first week of school ... and it wasn't even that bad. I enjoy being back and I LOVE being around my friends. Plus, I've made some new ones! Well, there are two stories I would like to tell you about that happened this week.

THURSDAY evening, grocery store, in line to check out.
After school on Thursday, Mabecka swung by our apartment to pick me up cause she had some errands to run and I was bored so I wanted to go with her. She needed to pick up some supplies for her watercolor class. I don't know why but she decided to get them from Broulim's (our local grocery store). Weird place to find art supplies in my opinion BUT that's where we went. When we were in line to check out I was telling Mabecka about my day and how at work I was trying to leave cause I had class in five minutes but people kept coming in and I was like GET OUT! When I said get out I said it kind of loud and the lady in front of us turned around and said, "Hi girls." I smiled and said hi back and then we continued our conversation. Little did we realize that this lady was crazy. When the cashier was ringing up her items she started talking to him and asking him questions. "So how long have you worked here?" (The answer was on his name tag) "When do you graduate?" And so on. The kid handled it pretty well. He answered her questions and was friendly enough. I ignored her until she said "Jordon," (I think that was his name), "Do you know God loves you? I love you? I bet this girl over here loves you, you're so lucky." (pointing at me) I got wide-eyed cause I couldn't believe how crazy she was and turned and got a conversation going again with Mabecka so I wouldn't have to look at either of them. As she was leaving the store she would stop and introduce her mother to everyone. She was crazy.

Next story ...

FRIDAY evening, streets of Rexburg, walking around town.
After dinner last night I asked Mabecka if she wanted to go for a walk. She did and so we went. We each grabbed a roll of nickels and walked down to the gas station and bought a bag of penny candy and then just walked with no place in mind. We didn't have any plans for the night so we weren't in a hurry. And we didn't really want to go visit anybody because it was Friday night and that's date night. So nobody would be home anyway. ... Rexburg (said as I'm shaking my head). Anyway, we walked everywhere. And it was pretty quiet out because it was really cold. As we were walking up the hill towards the temple I thought of texting our friend, Camerin, to see if he had listened to some songs I had given him yet. You see, Camerin is an AMAZING piano player and over the winter break I wrote a couple songs that I would like some piano tunes with. I told him that and he said he would try but he's never done anything like that before. To help him I gave him my thumb drive with a few songs on it that have a similar sound to what I tend to aim for. Anyway, I wanted to see if he had listened to them yet and if he had then we could work on that song and on Monday we could perform at Music Outlet. This is all besides the point and not really relevant to the story except for the fact that just as I was about to pull my phone out and send him a text, we got a text from him asking if we wanted to go bowling with him and his roommates at 9. By now we are up by the temple and we told him yes so we started heading down the hill back home. Just then completely out of nowhere Mabecka looks over her shoulder and started freaking out. Well, more like jumping out of her skin. Which made me freak out and turn in circles because I had no idea what she saw that made her do that. And then next thing I knew there was a little kitty following us. Apparently this cat jumped out of bush and ran at us. And then he just sort of stuck to us like glue. He's run ahead of us, pause, look frantically around as we passed him, and then start all over again. The poor guy was lost. We started talking to him and told him that he better not cross the road, his mamma's right ... it's dangerous! We tried asking him where he was from, but he kept doing the same thing. We walked for a long ways and even when he'd stop for a long while he would always come running to catch up to us. By now we started getting worried. What were we going to do with this cat? We couldn't keep him. And we had no idea where an animal shelter was. Plus, we had to be ready to go bowling at 9. We finally decided that if he followed us all the way home I would run inside and look up an animal shelter on the computer and then we'd take him there and just tell the guys we'd be late. Finally we get all the way down to 1st W (which was quite a ways from where the kitty started following us). And this was a busier street ...at least during school hours. I warned the kitty not to cross the street again and he didn't. He would just stick between us. Every time we passed someone, the cat would stop and look at them but then come bounding to catch up with us. And every time we passed someone I would cross my fingers that the cat would choose to start following them. I know, I'm horrible. Finally we passed this guy who was on the phone and the cat did the same thing, but this time the guy stopped to. He looked at the cat then reached down and petted it. And the kitty found a new friend. He started following the guy. Mabecka and I, the entire time the cat was following us, would constantly glance over our shoulders to see where he was at. This time when we glanced over our shoulder we were relieved that he had found a new friend. But then I felt kind of bad. But the next time we glanced we saw that the guy had picked the cat up and we knew he was in good hands.
Later when we were driving in the car with the guys, we thought we saw a cat running across the street and so we told them all about it and now they always joke about seeing our new furry friend whenever they see a random kittty.

Yeah, so those were my exciting stories for the week. Other than that we've been playing Ultimate and a little basketball. Everyother night we watch the Lakers/Jazz game. Work is great. I went back to my old job so I already know how to do everything and I'm efficient at doing it. Plus, my boss gave me a free pair of organic Teko socks. They are really lovely but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. And now I'm going to go make pancakes for lunch.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

aaahhhh, it's good to be back in Rexburg :)

eebs said...

oh my goodness, it stresses me out to no end when animals start following me. I feel so responsible!! I can't handle it.