When was it? Oh, a couple weeks ago I flew from Boston to San Francisco. Although I didn't have to change planes, I had two stops between my cities: Chicago and Denver.
The first leg of my flight was quick and eventful. (Including me falling in love at first sight with the man sitting in my row.) Because I was so preoccupied during this time AND since it was the first few hours of my flight, I didn't use the bathroom. For those who don't know this odd, not-so-secret secret about me ... I don't use the bathroom very often and when I travel, hardly ever. (It's mostly due to the fact that I'm highly dehydrated.) So the fact that I didn't on the first portion was no big surprise. But after my true love left me and I was sitting alone in that row I realized that I did need to use the bathroom. So I planned that after all the new fools had boarded the plane, we took off, and the seat-belt light went off that would be when I would use the bathroom.
By the time this actually happened the flight attendants had already gone around and served us snacks and beverages. This created more of an obstacle to getting out (especially since I was sitting next to the window in a row of 3) so I readjusted my plans to using the bathroom after the flight attendant came back around and gathered our rubbish. I finished my snacks quickly and noticed that she took an unusually long time coming back. She must have known.
When she did come by I waited a few seconds before sidling past the two other girls in my row (always an awkward task on planes ... which is another reason I avoid using the bathroom on planes). But I didn't let myself wait to long less another obstacle came up and by now I'm feeling a bit in pain.
Ok, because I never, ever, ever use the bathroom when I fly I really had no idea where it was. I know there is one in the front of the plane and one in the back of the plane underneath the lights that show if it is occupied or not. I walk back there and or this reason I think it is literally underneath those lights. (I must have been a little delusional from my love story and too many time taking off and landing in one day.) I walk up to the carpeted wall thinking it's the door to the bathroom and start trying to open it. I can't find a handle so I grab the edges on one side and tug. Nothing. So I grab the edges on the other side and tug. Nothing. I peak my head around the corner and see the two flight attendants deep in conversation ignoring me so I turn back to the wall and tug at it again. I look at both edges searching for hinges and one side had them so I went back to the other side and tugged at it some more trying to open it. The sign did say the bathroom was unoccupied so I couldn't figure out what my problem was! I finally gave up and interrupted the flight attendants asking them where the restroom was. It was back further kitty-corner to the wall I was messing with (in a more logical place, too). Turns out the hinges I saw belonged to the cupboards on the perpendicular portion of that wall.
I started thinking about what had just happened but it was kind of embarrassing so I pushed it out of my mind until it randomly popped into my head on the drive home from SF. I told it Chris and we were busting our guts. Especially when I imagined somebody turning around and seeing me.
4 comments:
hahaha.... guess you should use bathrooms more often! but seriously, it's really not good to keep yourself deydrated! for a lot of reasons. and I know a girl who used to hold it so long all the time that she started poisoning herself, and developed a problem where now she has to go extra often. so, it's just not worth it. drink enough and use the bathroom enough.
but I really enjoyed your story!!
I feel so privileged to already know that not-so-secret secret about you. I really like the image of you trying to pry open the wrong side of a cupboard in your desperation to pee. it's very tender. poor confused ranimal.
<3.
I just thought of this:
It's a good thing you don't look like a potential terrorist threat, or your confusion may have appeared to be something less innocent.
hahaha--- the crazed ranimal!
Post a Comment