Thursday, December 17, 2009

Black In Rexburg

It's finals week. Thursday night. Last chance to finish up insane projects.
So for the past month I've been working on my Samantha Ray project. We are designing a one-bedroom apartment for Samantha, a young fashion designer, in NYC who loves the French Rococo (Marie Antoinette time period) style. Anyway, the requirements of what we have to do are enormous and the past couple weeks I've been going non-stop. It never leaves my mind ... I even dream about it.
I present tomorrow morning at eleven. Everything has to be done. I worked this morning and when I came home all I had energy for was to pack. But after a while I started getting anxious and went up to the Printers to get some pages printed. When I came back I packed some more then finished creating the rest of my pages that I still need to print. I hurry and finish cause I also need to buy some mat board to mount my renderings on. I rush out cause I also need to type up my time sheet which I kind of have to bs a bit since I did a poor job of keeping track of how much time I spent at what. I know, I know ... but it was my first time so I'll for sure be better next time. Anyway, I get up to the Clarke and I find a computer (a miracle in itself) and I start typing up my time sheet. I'm about half-way through and suddenly it goes pitch black. After the initial shock I started panicking. It's not coming back on. I don't have time to sit around and wait for it! I grab my stuff and head for the library. By now people are calling everyone they know and we looked out the windows and realized that it wasn't just the Clarke that had no power (which has happened before). Once I found out the library also had no power I go back upstairs and find my buddies. We learned from others that the power outage was about an hour and half radius and the cause of the outage was from some sort of explosion near a power plant or gas station or a tanker thing. I don't know. So many stories.
Since the power was out I had literally no power to do anything towards completing my project. I stayed up at the Clarke for a while, made some thank you cards for a couple teachers (Brother Parson who fed us breakfast at his studio this morning and Sister Harris who gave us bars, apples, and cheese sticks because the power went out and we had not eaten today), talked about school work... surprise, surprise. I got bored eventually, called Mabecka, and she came and got me. At home, we drank our eggnog out of Tupperware containers cause there are no more dishes in this apartment then got ready for bed. She was already in bed and just as I was about to climb in (literally) the lights turned on again. So I rushed and plugged in my dead phone then turned my computer on to start my time sheet over again. Now it's done but the Printer is long closed so I'm just going to have to wake up early tomorrow morning and have a stressful day. Whoopee. I really was secretly (or not so secretly) hoping the power was going to stay out until tomorrow afternoon. Oh well. I included my renderings so you all can see a bit of what I do.


This is a closet elevation ... she collects hats :)
Samantha Ray herself on her bed. The wall that her bed is against is the backside of the previous elevation.

1 comment:

Christopher Unger said...

Your drawings look really nice! Though I have to admit, that the whole French Rococo style kind of makes me gag a little, so I feel a little sorry that you had to design an apartment using it.

You'll probably have done your final already by the time you read this... so I hope it went well!